Selling, in its most profound sense, is not about pushing products but about understanding and serving the customer. The concept of serving has been central to many great teachings, and Jesus’ life provides an inspiring example. In my book, The Master Salesman: Jesus and the Art of Service, I explore how these principles align with selling, transforming it into a fulfilling, humane endeavor.
The Essence of Serving: A Lesson from Jesus
Jesus’ teaching in Mark 10:45 encapsulates the essence of service: “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” This message of selflessness and compassion can be the foundation of a revolutionary sales approach, emphasizing empathy, care, and genuine understanding.
Aligning Selling with Serving: The IDEAS Sales System
- INTRODUCING: Connecting with Purpose – It’s about making a purposeful connection that resonates with the customer’s needs, similar to how Jesus connected with people’s hearts.
- DISCOVERING: Extreme Active Listening – Listen with empathy, as Jesus did, to truly understand what the customer wants.
- EVALUATING: Uncovering the Real Needs – Understand the underlying needs and desires as Jesus discerned the true needs of those he encountered.
- ADAPTING: Tailoring Solutions – Jesus’ teachings were personalized. Similarly, adapt your solutions to match the unique needs of each customer.
- SERVING: Fulfilling Needs Through Value – As Jesus served humanity, serve your customers by providing real value that fulfills their needs.
Understanding and implementing the IDEAS Sales System leads to a more humane and compassionate way of selling.
The Power of Belief: Trusting in Your Service
Belief in what you offer can make a world of difference in sales. This aligns with the Triad of Belief, which emphasizes belief in your industry, your product, and yourself, and then transferring that belief to your prospect.
Practical Applications: Sales as Service
- Build Long-term Relationships: Focus on nurturing relationships, not just closing sales. Just as Jesus fostered relationships with his disciples, create bonds with customers.
- Provide Real Solutions: Like Jesus providing healing and hope, your products or services should solve real problems for your customers.
- Emphasize Integrity and Honesty: Just as Jesus lived a life of integrity, your sales approach should be transparent and trustworthy.
- Continual Learning and Growth: Jesus was a teacher and learner. Commit to continuous learning to serve your customers better.
Conclusion: A New Way of Selling
To fully embrace sales as service, consider exploring the insights and teachings in The Master Salesman: Jesus and the Art of Service. To take this concept further and apply it personally, I invite you to explore one-on-one Training, Coaching, and Life Coaching at Closer Classes. Embrace a sales approach that aligns with the very essence of serving others, transforming not only your sales process but your entire perspective on business and life.
The customer is ready to buy. He needs you to help him believe.
Summary: This article uncovers a new perspective on selling, aligning it with serving. Drawing from Jesus’ teachings and modern sales methods, it emphasizes understanding, empathy, and genuine care in sales. The alignment of selling with service transforms the traditional view of sales into a fulfilling and compassionate endeavor.